April 13--Two people were killed Sunday in an apparent murder-suicide in a Carson home, ending an hours-long standoff involving the Los Angeles County sheriff's SWAT team, officials said.
Sheriff's Lt. Dave Coleman told KABC-TV that an elderly man fatally shot his wife and then himself. The couple had been married 55 years.
The incident began about 6:35 a.m. when sheriff's deputies were dispatched to the 500 block of East Moorehaven Drive to check on a report of suspicious activity, according to a sheriff's statement.
As deputies were patrolling the neighborhood they heard a gunshot from inside a home, the statement said.
The sheriff's special weapons team was summoned to the scene and area homes were evacuated as a precaution, officials said.
Authorities stormed the house late Sunday afternoon and discovered the bodies of the two adults.
Update
5:29 p.m. This post has been updated with new information