Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
National
Veronica Rocha

BRIEF: Missing South Lake Tahoe boy found dead under fallen tree after storm

Dec. 15--A missing 14-year-old boy was found dead under a 50-foot tree that fell during a severe storm in Northern California, police said.

The South Lake Tahoe Police Department has not identified the boy, but friends and neighbors told FOX 40 he was Dejon Smith, a high school freshman.

Police said they believe the boy was struck by the large falling tree Thursday night during the storm.

The teen had been reported missing that same day after he was last seen at his home in the 1100 block of Wildwood Avenue, police said. Officers searched but were unable to find him.

The following day, Friday, a witness told police he and the boy had parted ways in a wooded area in the 3600 block of Rancho Way.

Officers searched the area again but still couldn't find the teenager.

Then on Saturday, police received a report that a body had been found in the same wooded area.

Police went to the area and confirmed that they had found the teenager under the fallen tree.

For breaking news, follow @VeronicaRochaLA

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.