Aug. 18--The body of a Hoffman Estates man who had been missing since Saturday when he attended the Chicago Air Water Show was discovered below an overpass by a construction worker Monday after an apparent motorcycle accident, authorities said.
Steven Sanchez, 50, had been last seen at 8 p.m. Saturday near Burnham Harbor after attending the show, and Illinois State Police found his motorcycle near Interstate 290 and Interstate 94 about 8:30 p.m. His cellphone also was found, according to Hoffman Estates police.
His family had reported him missing Sunday morning, after he failed to reach a destination in northwest suburban Inverness on Saturday night, said Sgt. Santos Orta with the Illinois State Police.
A construction worker reported finding his body within the circular interchange "in the construction zone" at about noon Monday, Orta said. He said he was not sure why no one found the body earlier.
"It's an overpass," he said. "He went down. I don't know what the distance was. I don't know how the body was positioned or where it was located."
Authorities told Sanchez's family that his body had been discovered about 50 feet from his motorcycle, said his daughter, Ginger Sanchez, 20.
"We don't know the details yet but they have found him," she said Monday afternoon.
"They are saying he went over the ramp and flew 50 to 60 feet."
Steven Sanchez, a heavy equipment operator, "was an amazing father and amazing friend," his distraught daughter said.
"I love him so much. I can't believe he's gone."
On Saturday, her father met other family members in the city to watch the Air Water Show.
"I was supposed to ride down with him on his bike," Ginger Sanchez said. "I couldn't because I had to work. I was texting him saying, 'I am so sorry I can't be with you guys having fun at the lake.' He was like, 'There's always next year.' "
"He sent a thumbs up and a smiley face," Sanchez said. An only child, she had just celebrated her birthday Aug. 2.
"He liked to ride," she said. "We were making plans for next year to go up to Sturgis (South Dakota motorcycle rally) and how we were going to celebrate my 21st birthday."
Authorities said Sanchez's motorcycle was first believed to have been abandoned.
lblack@tribpub.com