Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
National
Peter Nickeas and Grace Wong

BRIEF: Man dead in 'suspicious' West Englewood fire

April 20--A man was found dead under a porch that had caught fire in the West Englewood neighborhood Tuesday afternoon, according to the Chicago Fire Department.

The department called the fire "suspicious." The man was found under a back porch, which was on fire, about 5:50 p.m. He had been burned. Police said he was found in a stairwell.

Police arson detectives and fire officials were investigating.

Louis Smith, 60 who lives on the second floor of the building, said he was watching TV when he got a knock on his door.

His neighbor said there was smoke in the back of the building. When he ran around to the back of the building, Smith said there was thick black smoke obscuring his view.

"I thought it was some kids starting a fire on the back porch," Smith said.

Check back for more information.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.