Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
National
Rosemary Regina Sobol and Rachel Crosby

BRIEF: Four teens safe after boat capsizes off Burnham harbor

Aug. 07--Four youths between 12 and 16 were rescued off Burnham Harbor Friday afternoon after their small boat capsized, police said. All of them were wearing life jackets.

The Fire Department responded at about 2 p.m. to an overturned Boston Whaler motorboat, officials said. By the time emergency crews arrived to the 1500 block of Linn White Drive, east of Soldier Field, the group had already been pulled to safety, said department spokesman Jeff Lyle.

"We weren't needed," he said.

A Chicago Parks District lifeguard and another adult brought the group to shore, he said. No one was injured.

The police department also responded, said Marine Unit Officer Joe Doane. "It was a real small boat," Doane said. "They use them to haul sailboats."

Doane did not know why the group was in the water. "I think it just flipped over, but everybody's safe."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.