Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
Sport
Austin Knoblauch

BRIEF: Ex-Jets running back Chris Johnson reportedly injured in shooting

March 08--Former New York Jets running back Chris Johnson was hospitalized early Sunday after he was injured in a drive-by shooting that killed one acquaintance and injured another, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

According to multiple sources, Johnson was sitting in a car when he was shot in the arm. The car's driver was killed and another man was wounded, police told the newspaper.

Johnson and Reggie Johnson were taken to a Orlando, Fla., hospital and are listed in stable condition. Their injuries reportedly are not life threatening.

The police identified the dead driver as Dreekins Oriko Johnson, 28. The police did not indicate the relationship of the victims.

The victims told police that an unknown vehicle pulled up alongside them at a stoplight and opened fire.

The Jets announced on Feb. 14 that they would not pick up Johnson's 2015 contract option. He will be an unrestricted free agent on Tuesday.

Johnson rushed for a career low 663 yards and one touchdown for the Jets last season. He also had 151 receiving yards.

Johnson, 29, signed with the Jets last year after playing with the Tennessee Titans for six seasons.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.