Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
Sport
Chris Kuc

BRIEF: Chicago loses 2018 World Junior Championship bid

Sept. 15--One of the most prestigious events in hockey will not be coming to Chicago anytime soon.

USA Hockey announced Tuesday that the three finalists to host the 2018 World Junior Championship are Buffalo, St. Louis and Pittsburgh. Chicago had been among five finalists to host the tournament but was eliminated.

"It was extremely difficult to get down to three," Mike Bertsch, assistant executive director of marketing, communications and events for USA Hockey, said in a statement. "All five of the cities we were considering made a compelling case."

Blackhawks Chairman Rocky Wirtz made a bid for the event that will run from Dec. 26, 2017-Jan. 5, 2018 to coincide with the opening of a new hockey facility near the United Center that will serve as the Hawks' practice rink.

"Next to the Olympics, I think that's the biggest hockey event there is out there," Wirtz told the Tribune in July.

It is one that won't be held in Chicago. A final decision on the location is expected by the end of the year.

ckuc@tribpub.com

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.