March 29--An unusual chilly wind blew through Camelback Ranch on Tuesday, and some clouds hung in the sky, almost as if Arizona was preparing the White Sox for April baseball in Chicago.
Sox manager Robin Ventura also went for the regular-season feel with Chris Sale on the mound, putting out a lineup he says will be close to the one he uses on opening day against the Athletics in Oakland.
Right fielder Adam Eaton led off against the Rangers, followed by shortstop Jimmy Rollins, first baseman Jose Abreu, third baseman Todd Frazier, left fielder Melky Cabrera, designated hitter Avisail Garcia, second baseman Brett Lawrie, center fielder Austin Jackson and catcher Alex Avila.
"That's going to be the guys," Ventura said. "Where they bat, we might mix around a little bit."
The Sox roster came into greater focus with a series of moves Tuesday morning.
The Sox optioned infielders Matt Davidson, Leury Garcia and Carlos Sanchez and right-hander Tommy Kahnle to Triple-A Charlotte. They also assigned outfielder Jason Coats to minor-league camp.
That left 31 players in camp, with two roster spots up in the air.
Ventura confirmed Tuesday that outfielder J.B. Shuck, whom the Sox liked in his role as a pinch hitter and backup outfielder in 2015, will make the team. He also said the Sox plan to go with 12 pitchers.
Unless Sox general manager Rick Hahn pulls off a move before opening day, Jerry Sands and Travis Ishikawa then remain as the club's two main options for the 25th man, and both could fill the Sox's hole at designated hitter and backup first baseman. Ventura said the team would make the final move during the team's exhibition series in San Diego on Friday and Saturday.
Using the 25th spot for a DH rather than an extra bullpen arm means the Sox won't likely take a long reliever, an option given question marks surrounding starters John Danks and Mat Latos. But Hahn said with only one off day and a stretch of 19 straight games in April, they still can decide to dip into the minor-league pitching pool at some point.
"It's important we have multiple guys who can give us some length if the need arises, but we want to break camp with the right 25 guys," Hahn said. "At the same time, there are going to be roster moves over the course of the season."
Davidson and Sanchez were the two most significant cuts Tuesday.
Sanchez played in 120 games, mostly at second base, for the Sox in 2015. But the Sox added middle infielders Lawrie and Rollins this year, and they like Tyler Saladino's defensive skills at shortstop and in a utility role.
Sanchez was 18-for-54 with six doubles, two homers and six RBIs this spring. He was cut the day after hitting two homers against the Rockies.
Ventura said they told Sanchez that they very well could need him at some point this season, something Sanchez knows after being called up to replace Micah Johnson early last year.
"Some of the acquisitions that we've got kind of change the dynamics of the cards you're going to deal these guys," Ventura said. "It's tough. Kid hits two home runs the day before and gets that news. We know he's a good player. But at 23 he needs to go get some at-bats and be ready."
After two tough seasons at Charlotte, Davidson had a promising spring, going 19-for-46 with two doubles, five home runs, nine RBIs, one walk and nine strikeouts.
The Sox sent Davidson down encouraged by the changes they saw this year.
"It's different this time," Hahn said. "You see a very relaxed player, one who is comfortable in his own skin at the plate and defensively. He's confident. His swing is much lower maintenance than it's been at any point in his career with us. And he's entering his season on a good note.
"Frankly the fact he put himself in the mix for consideration to break with the club shows how far he's come in a short period of time."