April 12--Two people have died and at least three others were wounded in shootings since midafternoon Monday, including a man killed by an attacker in Little Village and one fatally shot by police in Homan Square who was a suspect in one of the other shootings, authorities said.
A person was fatally shot by police before 8 p.m. in the 3400 block of West Grenshaw Street, authorities said. Police said it was connected to a previous shooting but did not specify which one.
A little after 7:30 p.m., a 37-year-old man was killed in Little Village, police said. The man, a documented member of the Two-Six street gang, was in the 2800 block of South Kedvale Avenue when someone ran out of a gangway and fired at least five shots, according to a law enforcement source. He was hit in the face and back, and the shooter ran back down the gangway to a waiting car. The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital and pronounced dead.
At about the same time, a 19-year-old man was shot in the head in the 6000 block of South California Avenue, police said.
The man was driving when someone fired shots and hit him in the head, then ran off, police said. The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition. The man ended up in the 5800 block of South Artesian Avenue, where the car he was driving came to rest.
At 12:05 a.m. Tuesday, a 23-year-old man was shot in the Belmont Gardens neighborhood. He was in the 4500 block of West Belmont Avenue when he was shot in the arm. He went to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, and his condition was stabilized. Police initially said he had been shot in the shoulder, then corrected that information.
A 15-year-old boy was shot in Little Village on Monday afternoon about 3:40 p.m. He was in the 2800 block of South Homan Avenue when someone approached and fired shots, hitting him in the leg. He went to Mount Sinai Hospital, and his condition was stabilized.