Oct. 30--A 17-year-old boy has been charged with murder in a West Garfield Park shooting that killed one man and wounded another this month, authorities said Thursday.
The teen is accused of walking up and shooting two men as they sat in a parked car in the 4300 block of West Maypole Avenue the afternoon of Oct. 6, according to Chicago police spokeswoman Officer Amina Greer.
The teen's name was not released by police because he is a juvenile, but he was charged as an adult, and prosecutors identified him as Devion Kimble, of the 900 block of North Waller Avenue.
Both men were shot in the head and taken to Stroger Hospital, police said at the time of the shooting. One, 24-year-old DeAngelo Birge, was pronounced dead that evening.
Birge and the other man were sitting in the back seat of a car with two other people in the front just west of Maypole and Kildare avenues when the shooting took place, prosecutors said.
Kimble came out of a nearby vacant lot and went up to the car's driver's side rear window, where Kimble was sitting, and fired at least nine shots into the car, then ran away, prosecutors said.
Several witnesses identified Kimble as the shooter, and Kimble told someone within days of the shooting that he had been the shooter, prosecutors said.
Kimble has been charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder and aggravated battery. He was ordered held without bail in a hearing before Cook County Criminal Court Judge Donald Panarese, according to court records.
Chicago Tribune's Liam Ford contributed.