Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Politics
Lisa O'Carroll Brexit correspondent

Brexit weekly briefing: MEPs start work and Tory battle hots up

Nigel Farage at Brexit Company event
Nigel Farage at a Brexit party event after the European elections in May. Photograph: Vudi Xhymshiti/AP

Welcome to the Guardian’s weekly Brexit briefing. If you would like to receive this as a weekly email, please sign up here. And you can catch our monthly Brexit Means … podcast here. For daily updates, follow the indefatigable Andrew Sparrow and the politics live blog.

Top stories

Today is the day that was not supposed to happen. The Brexit party and the Liberal Democrats are expected to make a big splash when their MEPs take up their seats in the new European parliament.

At the weekend Nigel Farage pre-empted that reminder of support for Brexit in England by unveiling 100 candidates for the next general election.

Pressure from the Brexit party seems to be having an impact on the Conservative party leadership contest, with the two candidates battling to out-Brexit each other. Jeremy Hunt was criticised heavily for suggesting he would be happy to sacrifice some businesses to the long-term national interest. Make UK, which represents the manufacturing sector, said this was “the height of irresponsibility”.

Outlining a 10-point plan for no deal, Hunt said he would cancel August leave for civil servants and make a decision by 30 September on whether a deal was possible.

But it was the candidates’ spending plans, including a reduction in income tax and stamp duty, a pay increase for public sector workers and an emergency fund for vulnerable businesses, that drew the most stinging criticism. The chancellor, Philip Hammond, said the government’s £26.6bn Brexit allocation would not be available to either of them if the UK crashed out without a transition period.

The former Treasury minister Lord Young said he viewed the “increasingly generous” pledges by the two candidates “with alarm” as they were being made out of fiscal headroom that was only designed to last for the first year after a negotiated Brexit.

What next?

Both leadership candidates have been building their Brexit negotiating and transition teams. According to the Sunday Times (paywall), Johnson’s plans are being drawn up by Geoffrey Cox, the attorney general, Steve Barclay, the Brexit secretary, and Jacob Rees-Mogg.

The Times also reported that Hunt would replace Olly Robbins, who is leaving the civil service, with Craig Falconer, who as chief trade negotiator in the Department for International Trade is possibly the most underused official in Whitehall.

Insiders say the Johnson team has been looking at whether to mothball the Brexit department and merge it with the DIT. Last week the Brexit department suffered a blow when the official in charge of no deal, Tom Shinner, 33, quit to join the private sector.

And over in Europe?

Frans Timmermans, a self-confessed Anglophile who is fluent in seven languages, had appeared to be in pole position to take over from Jean-Claude Juncker as European commission president. But EU leaders were scheduled to meet again on Tuesday after a council summit ended without agreement.

Angela Merkel said the EU had to take into account the views of the smaller countries who did not support Timmermans. “It should not lead to tensions that will determine years and years to come. Brexit is looming on the horizon. Other important issues are on the table. I think we need to treat each other with care,” she said on Monday.

Best of the rest

Top comment

Gordon Brown has said the United Kingdom is under threat from “divisive nationalisms”.

Scottish nationalism plus English nationalism plus Welsh nationalism plus Ulster nationalism does not add up to a United Kingdom. Four nations united only by nationalism will not sustain the United Kingdom. It means a house divided that cannot stand for long. So the issues before us are economic, but they are also cultural and constitutional – and go to the heart of the debate about the future of our country. It is time to draw a line in the sand: to call on the tolerant, fair-minded, decent, patriotic majority of British people, who include millions of leave voters as well as remain voters, to speak up against the hijacking of our patriotism.

Top tweet

It seems that Boris Johnson is not the only one casual with the facts:

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.