A Brexit deal has not been struck despite “intense efforts” in Brussels on Sunday, Michel Barnier has said.
Reports claimed a “negotiator-level” agreement had been reached and Dominic Raab, the UK Brexit secretary, made a snap trip to Belgium to meet with Mr Barnier.
But the EU’s chief negotiator later tweeted: “We met today @DominicRaab and UK negotiating team. Despite intense efforts, some key issues are still open, including the backstop for IE/NI to avoid a hard border.”
Mr Barnier said he would debrief the 27 remaining EU states and the European Parliament on the state of the negotiations.
No further negotiations are planned before European leaders including Theresa May meet for a further summit in Brussels on Wednesday, according to a senior EU diplomat.
“Despite constructive and intensive negotiations, several key issues remain unresolved,” one senior EU diplomat said. “No further negotiations are planned ahead of the European Council. The EU negotiator will brief the leaders who will then assess the progress so far.”
Mr Barnier’s announcement immediately deflated speculation of a breakthrough in the difficult negotiations, following Mr Raab’s surprise trip to Brussels and the summoning of ambassadors to a meeting at EU headquarters.
Both sides had indicated they want to sign off on a draft withdrawal agreement to set out the terms of Britain’s divorce from the EU.
One of the most pressing issues is the Northern Irish backstop, a mechanism to avoid a hard border.
The EU’s version of the backstop, which would see just Northern Ireland remain aligned with Brussels’ rules, has been called unacceptable by Ms May and is loathed by her DUP allies.
Ms May’s counter-proposal is for a “temporary customs arrangement” for the whole of the UK, but Tory Brexiteers fear this could become an open-ended position which would prevent free trade deals with countries around the world.
David Davis has told Tory MPs they should trigger a leadership contest to topple Theresa May unless she drops her Brexit plan this week.
The former Brexit secretary, who resigned over the PM’s Chequers proposal in July, hopes to trigger a leadership contest if she refuses to “budge” before Wednesday’s crunch EU summit.
Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Tory leader, has also hinted she would resign if the Brexit deal gives Northern Ireland special trading terms with the EU.
Additional reporting by agencies
See below how we covered this story live

Tory MPs should trigger leadership contest unless May drops Brexit plan this week, says David Davis
'If she doesn’t move, the Tory party will lose its patience. They will put the 48 letters in calling for a leadership election'
Brexit secretary makes surprise trip to Brussels for crunch talks with Michel Barnier
Meeting comes ahead of major Brexit summitMr Hunt said he spoke with eight European counterparts about Brexit during a reception at the house in the afternoon and there was a "huge desire to resolve these issues", adding: "People want to end up with a relationship where Britain and Europe are friends and that's really what we are all working very hard to try to achieve."
Asked if it was now time for the Prime Minister to rethink her strategy, particularly involving discussions on the Irish border, Mr Hunt said: "Theresa May has been absolutely clear that she would not sign up to indefinite membership of a customs union so what we need to do is find a backstop solution that respects her commitment to be leaving the customs union but also satisfies Irish concerns that we would never return to the Troubles."
When asked for his response to comments from David Davis calling for an "open revolt" against the Prime Minister, Mr Hunt said: "I would say that's wrong and the reason that's wrong is there is no-one who is going to be able to negotiate the right deal for Britain better than Theresa May. She is battling for Britain.
"This is the crucial stage of the negotiations. We can get there, I believe we will get there. But this is the time to stand rock solid behind Theresa May, to back our Prime Minister to get the best deal for Britain."
PA
The Independent has launched its #FinalSay campaign to demand that voters are given a voice on the final Brexit deal.
Sign our petition here