Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Business

Brexit caution sees Marston’s trim pubs expansion plan

Press image from Marston's

Pubs firm Marston’s on Wednesday took the axe to its plans to open new boozers, blaming the confused political landscape as a result of Brexit.

Chief executive Ralph Findlay said: “Regrettably the government doesn’t know what’s going to happen in March. So we do think it is appropriate to be more cautious.”

He added: “We operate in increasingly uncertain times from a political and macro-economic perspective.”

Investments in new-build sites will be slashed to £25 million from around £50 million per year from 2020 onwards.

The pub operator and brewer is also looking to sell £80-£90 million of non-pub properties in 2020-2023. It wants to cut its net debt by £200 million to £1.2 billion by 2023.

Marston’s saw comparable sales rise 1.4% in the 16 weeks to January 19, boosted by drink-led pubs.

Shares fell 3.55p to 99.25p.

Elsewhere in the industry today JD Wetherspoon posted results. Comparable sales rose 7.2% in the first 12 weeks of the second quarter to January 20, and year-to-date figures increased 6.3%.

Brexiteer chairman Tim Martin said the group’s wage bill was up £30 million. First-half pre-tax profits are expected to be lower than last year’s £60 million, though full-year expectations are unchanged. Shares in JD Wetherspoon slipped 11p to 1185p.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.