Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Sarah Hodgson & Danya Bazaraa

Search for missing man in rough seas off Blackpool coast called off with no success

A major search was launched after reports of a man missing out at sea off Blackpool pier.

Police, a coastguard helicopter, lifeboats, and paramedics were at the scene after being called out to the incident on Saturday morning.

HM Coastguard was alerted by a 999 call reporting that a man had been seen entering the sea near the North Pier and the search has been underway since 10am, Lancashire Live reports.

The search, which has been co-ordinated by Holyhead Coastguard, in North Wales, has now been suspended for the rest of the day due to
fading light.

A Holyhead Coastguard spokesman said: "We received a call at around 9.30am today reporting that a male had entered the water at North Pier
in Blackpool."

Are you at the scene? Contact mirror@webnews.co.uk

The Coastguard rescue helicopter is seen off the coast near Blackpool Pier (LancsLive/ WS)

He added: "They searched the area from Rossall Point all the way to South Shore and unfortunately nothing has been found.

"We have taken the decision to suspend the search, pending more information."

According to witnesses, the sea is very rough amid poor weather conditions.

The Coastguard rescue helicopter and lifeboats were called out to the search (LancsLive/ WS)

A search and rescue helicopter was sent from Caernarfon as part of the operation.

Flight radar systems show it was at the scene and witnesses report it has been hovering over the water.

Lifeboats have been launched from Blackpool RNLI and Lytham St Anne’s RNLI.

Holyhead Coastguard said the incident remains ongoing.  

Blackpool has been hit by 30mph gusts and heavy rain today with the Met Office saying the weather should become drier this afternoon.

An earlier full statement from the coastguard to Lancashire Live said: "HM Coastguard was alerted by a 999 call reporting that a man had been seen entering the sea near the North Pier, Blackpool.

"A search has been underway since 10am on Saturday morning involving RNLI lifeboats, Blackpool Coastguard Rescue Team and the Coastguard rescue helicopter based at Caernarfon.

"A Coastguard fixed wing aircraft is also involved in the search. Nothing has been found as yet."

It comes as the coastguard launched a major search off the coast of Sussex this morning after a fishing boat sank.

One man was found clinging to a lifebuoy in the sea while the search continues for two missing crew members.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.