Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Bradley Jolly

Libya agrees to extradite Manchester Arena bombing suspect

The brother of the Manchester Arena bomber will be extradited back to the UK, it has been confirmed.

Angry relatives of the Manchester Arena bomb: Families furious over extradition delay for killer's brother of the terror attack.

But Hashem Abedi, who was arrested in Libya shortly after the terror attack, looks now set to be sent from the country to the UK.

A provisional start date for full inquests on the suicide bombing by his brother Salman Abedi was set for April 6, 2020 – almost three years after the atrocity.

But a hearing in February was told this must wait until the criminal probe into his 21-year-old brother Hashem – a suspect who has been held in Libya since the horror – is complete.

Now the BBC says Hashem will finally be kicked out of Libya to face justice.

Manchester Arena bomb: Families furious over extradition delay for killer's brother

But the process is understood to be on hold while the security situation in Libya remains unstable.

Violent fighting broke out in and around the capital Tripoli last month.

Speaking in November last year, Greater Manchester Police said it had  been granted a warrant for the arrest of Hashem.

But in February, relatives gathered in Manchester hoping to hear when the man will arrive but were only told the "extradition process is in progress".

Steve Howe, who lost wife Alison, 45, in the blast, walked out. The 63-year-old said: "They did not give us any answers. There is no point sitting listening to nothing."

Mum of Manchester bombing victim launches big campaign to up security at gigs

Saying he feared Hashem would never face justice here, he added: "I don’t think the extradition will happen.

"We’d feel better if we knew where he was being held but they won’t answer that. We’ve had no information. They are beating about the bush with it. There is nothing worse than time-wasting."

Salman, 22, killed 22 people at an Ariana Grande concert in May 2017.

Martyn Hett, 29, was among the victims.

The Coronation Street fan, of Stockport, Greater Manchester, was described as "wonderful, iconic and beautiful".

His mum hopes her petition 'Martyn's Law' will change security at public venues.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.