Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Martin Domin

Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetkin rematch set for November 21

Dillian Whyte will have an immediate chance to avenge his defeat by Alexander Povetkin after their rematch was confirmed for November 21.

The second installment of their heavyweight rivalry will take place at a venue yet to be announced.

Whyte went into his first meeting with Povetkin knowing victory would secure a shot at Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder.

But having waited more than 1,000 days for his shot at a world title, Whyte's dream went up in smoke.

The Brit dropped Povetkin twice in the third round and looked set for an early victory before disaster struck in the next round.

Dillian Whyte will bid for revenge in November (Mark Robinson)

Matchroom also announced shows on October 4, a Sunday, which will feature Joshua Buatsi against Marko Calic and on October 17 when Lewis Ritson will take on Miguel Vazquel and Savannah Marshall will challenge Hannah Rankin for the WBO middleweight world title.

Whyte said: "I’m over the moon to have the rematch. As soon as I got out of the ring, I was looking for confirmation that the fight would be on. I can’t wait to get back in the ring and get back what is rightfully mine. I’m looking to do what I said I would the first time and that’s beat Alexander Povetkin.
 
“There won’t be any major adjustments, but I just need to be more switched on and not get distracted. He was able to use his experience against me. I will be a lot more focused and sharper in the rematch. I’m coming to win and knock him out. I’m coming to even the score and the only way to do that is by knocking him out.”

Povetkin delivered a devastating KO last month (Mark Robinson)

Povetkin, meanwhile, promised a repeat performance.

He said: “I’ve rested well, spent time with my family, and now that the date of the rematch is known, I will soon return to my training camp and prepare as thoroughly as I did for the first fight.

"As I said before the first fight and after it too, Dillian Whyte is a good, strong boxer. I will be ready to enter the ring on November 21. I hope it will be another beautiful fight for the fans."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.