Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Politics
Mikey Smith

Coronavirus infection rate drops as government prepares for lockdown exit

The coronavirus infection rate has dropped as the government prepares to announce its 'roadmap' to exit lockdown.

Today is the legal deadline to review the lockdown every three weeks.

And while Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab made clear the full restrictions remain in place until any announcement on Sunday - he said the infection rate had dropped well below the target of 1.

That crucial figure means each person who gets the virus transmits it to one other person.

He said: "As a result of the social distancing measures that we've put in place, the R level, which is the rate of infection, is now between 0.5 and 0.9."

But he told the Downing Street press conference: "The virus is not beaten yet, it remains deadly and infectious."

He confirmed Boris Johnson will use an address on Sunday to set out the "roadmap" to easing the lockdown.

"This weekend the Prime Minister will set out the next steps which we can responsibly take over the following weeks, guided by the scientific advice and mindful - as we said right from the word go - of taking the right decisions at the right time.

"Now we can start setting out how we will live and work whilst maintaining the necessary social distancing rules, we can also be clear about those measures which are still necessary to prevent a second peak."

(via REUTERS)

He went on to describe this as "very delicate and a very dangerous moment".

Any lifting of measures would have to be done "very carefully".

Boris Johnson spoke to opposition leaders on a conference call this afternoon.

No10 spokesman said: ‘The Prime Minister spoke to opposition party leaders today to update them on the government’s strategy to combat coronavirus.

‘He told them the government would approach the next phase with ‘maximum caution’ and his priority above all else would be to ‘save lives’.

‘He committed to speaking to them again soon and to make a statement to the House of Commons on Monday’.

A spokesman for Labour leader Keir Starmer, who took part in the call said: “This afternoon Keir Starmer and other opposition leaders were briefed over the phone by the Prime Minister about the coronavirus pandemic. The call was constructive.

“During the call, the Labour Leader stressed the importance of securing a national consensus on the next phase of the Government’s response to the coronavirus. He also reiterated the seven principles that he wants the Government to consider when planning for the next phase, including safety at work and preventing a cliff-edge to the job protection scheme.

“All sides agreed to further briefings over the weekend.”

Asked if people should go sunbathing this weekend, a Downing Street spokesman said: "The social distancing rules remain in place and we would ask everyone to respect them, just as they have so far."

This morning, Boris Johnson's spokesman insisted any changes to lockdown rules will be "very limited".

And he warned they could be reversed if the virus spikes.

Downing Street moved to clarify the situation after the Prime Minister revealed he would be lifting some measures in just three days' time "if possible".

Mr Johnson will outline a "roadmap" at 7pm on Sunday spelling out how lockdown might be relaxed over several months.

But after a flurry of leaks overnight, including to the Mirror, No10 insisted the vast majority of changes would not happen immediately.

And Downing Street ordered the nation not to go sunbathing or go out to mark VE Day this weekend - stressing that the lockdown remains fully in place for now.

Mr Johnson told his Cabinet today he would use "maximum caution" and "track" each stage of lifting restrictions before moving on to the next one.

Sign up for the Mirror Politics newsletter at www.mirror.co.uk/email - in your inbox at 8.30am to navigate the day ahead.

His spokesman said: "Any easements to the guidelines next week will be very limited.

"We are at a critical moment in the fight against the virus and we will not do anything which risks throwing away the efforts and the sacrifices of the British public.”

Wales and Scotland both piled pressure on Boris Johnson not to ease the lockdown too soon.

Nicola Sturgeon today confirmed the lockdown will be continued in Scotland for up to three weeks.

In a break from Boris Johnson's approach, she warned that dropping the "stay at home" message would be "catastrophic".

The Mirror understands a draft 50-page plan has been drawn up to get the country back to normal over the coming months.

According to the draft plan seen by the Mirror, from the start of June, primary schools in England would have a phased return.

Households could also be allowed to expand their “social bubble” to one other household of family or friends.

At the end of June, secondary schools would return, some outdoor activities and cafes.

Then, pubs and restaurants could reopen at the end of August or early September.

The final stage of lifting restrictions, which could include the opening of gyms and and the return of fans to Premier League matches, is the least predictable.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.