Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Politics
Dan Bloom

Boris Johnson finally admits using cocaine in 'inconclusive' event aged 19

Boris Johnson appears to have finally admitted taking cocaine after mounting questions dogged his Tory leadership battle.

Asked directly when he last used the Class A drug, the Tory leadership frontrunner replied by saying a "single inconclusive event" when he was a teenager.

Asked if he had taken cocaine since then, he replied: "No."

Mr Johnson was quizzed by BBC Radio 4's The World At One after this week.

He was asked to clarify if he had taken illegal drugs after giving conflicting accounts of the incident in previous years, before he stood for the leadership.

The Tory leadership frontrunner appears to have finally admitted taking the Class A drug (AFP/Getty Images)
Boris Johnson had dodged claims about the Class A drug at his leadership launch (Getty)

Back on Wednesday he said: "I think the account of this event when I was 19 has appeared many, many times.

"I think what most people in this country want us to really focus on in this campaign, if I may say so, is what we can do for them and what our plans are for this great country of ours."

This time he was asked directly when he last took cocaine.

And he replied: "I've answered that question exhaustively.But I can tell you the canonical answer that's been given - a single inconclusive event that took place, note my words, a single inconclusive event that took place when I was a teenager, and which I’ve extensively described already on the BBC."

Asked if he had taken cocaine since then, he said: "No."

Asked if he had taken cocaine since he was a teenager, he said: "No" (Getty)

It follows a row over his rival Michael Gove - who confessed he'd taken the drug on several social occasions in the past, despite writing about the evils of it.

Mr Johnson admitted in 2005 he was given cocaine but “may have been doing icing sugar” and it did not go up his nose.

Two years later, he told GQ magazine that it “must have” gone into his nose but claimed that it had no effect.

In 2018, he claimed it happened when he was 19 but when that led to headlines which said he had admitted taking drugs he issued a denial. 

“To say that I have taken cocaine is simply untrue,” he claimed.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.