Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport
Abhishek Takle

Brazilian GP collision won’t happen again, says Leclerc

Formula One F1 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates - November 28, 2019? Ferrari's Charles Leclerc, Red Bull's Max Verstappen and Haas' Kevin Magnussen during a press conference ahead of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed

ABU DHABI (Reuters) - Charles Leclerc said on Thursday he and Ferrari team mate Sebastian Vettel remained free to race each other after clearing the air following their Brazilian Grand Prix collision.

The two Ferraris touched wheels as Vettel tried to pass Leclerc for the final podium spot in the closing stages of the race at Sao Paulo’s Interlagos track two weeks ago. 

The contact, which put both the Italian team’s cars out of the race, had no consequence in terms of the constructors' standings with Ferrari already assured of second.

It marked, however, the latest flashpoint in an increasingly tense relationship between 22-year-old Monegasque Leclerc, in his first season with Ferrari and second in Formula One, and his four-times champion team mate.

"We looked at it, and I personally looked at it to try and understand how we could have made things better," Leclerc, who has won two races to Vettel’s one this year, told reporters at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

"I was there (in Maranello) for the simulator. We also took the day to discuss a little bit and I’m pretty sure it won’t happen again."

The collision happened as the pair raced side by side and Vettel, more or less clear of Leclerc, appeared to move over on the Monegasque who stood his ground.

Leclerc said the responsibility for the incident lay with both drivers, and added that no rules of engagement had been imposed or any sanctions threatened by the team.

He and Vettel had, however, agreed to give each other a wider berth when racing each other.

"Apart from that I don’t think there is much we can do," said Leclerc.

"I think probably Seb shouldn’t have gone to the left and he knows it, I probably could have done a better job of avoiding him going to the left. 

"The most important (thing) is that everything is clear with Seb now and we move forward."

Vettel did not attend the official FIA news conference, having delayed his arrival in Abu Dhabi due to the birth of his third child.

(Editing by Alan Baldwin and Ed Osmond)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.