Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Health

Brazil champions Flamengo return to training

Brazil champions Flamengo returned to training in Rio de Janeiro on Monday, with the first task for the club evaluating the fitness of players after the COVID-19 shutdown.

Flamengo said in a statement the fitness tests and subsequent training regimes would respect social distancing and hygiene rules, and that players and officials would be tested regularly thereafter.

Earlier this month, the Rio side said three first team players had tested positive for COVID-19, along with 35 others at the club. The team's long-time masseur died of the disease at the start of May.

Brazil’s state championships have been suspended since mid-March. Only a few top clubs have recalled their players for training and no date has been set for the season to restart.

Brazil recorded 674 new coronavirus deaths on Monday, the Health Ministry said, and announced a total of 254,220 confirmed cases, overtaking Britain to become the country with the third-highest number of infections behind the United States and Russia.

(Writing by Andrew Downie in London; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.