
Over 600 people have died from Covid in Nottingham
(Picture: PA Wire)Brawls broke out after hundreds of people descended on a park in Nottingham on Monday.
Police have warned the public to follow coronavirus rules after videos emerged of parkgoers hugging and shoving each other at Nottingham Arboretum.
The scenes were described as "madness' by one resident.
Nottinghamshire Police have put a dispersal order in place.
Huge crowd seen dancing, drinking and fighting in #Nottingham park. Dozens of people were seen at the #Arboretum on the first day the #RuleOfSix was reintroduced and #lockdown rules were partially relaxed. it is not known if @nottspolice issued any fines. pic.twitter.com/HSMv4tr4GD
— ashley kirk (@Ashley_r_kirk) March 29, 2021
A resident told BBC Radio Nottingham: "Last night it was horrendous seeing what was going on.
"I walked past on the way to the shop and it was just madness. It seems like a real joke when people are still struggling.
"Staying late, leaving all this rubbish. Every single element of it is completely selfish."
Once again the students of Nottingham are embarrassing our city😌(I didn't film this btw) pic.twitter.com/cvRsolsxbX
— DUHHH🤖👾 (@Duhhh__Dummy) March 29, 2021
The scenes led the leader of Nottingham City Council to call for everyone to take personal responsibility for sticking to rules as they are eased.
Councillor David Mellen said a selfish minority had abused the easing of restrictions, adding: “We have all made sacrifices over the last year to keep each other safe.
“Over 600 local people have died due to the virus.
“We owe it to their families, to each other and to frontline workers not to jeopardise the strides we have made towards reducing the spread of Covid by acting so thoughtlessly and recklessly.