Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Chris Johnston and agencies

Boy's death at Reading Topshop involved store display barrier

A security guard stands outside the closed Topshop store in the Oracle shopping centre in Reading.
A security guard stands outside the closed Topshop store in the Oracle shopping centre in Reading. Photograph: Dominic Harris/PA

A 10-year-old boy who died at a Topshop store in Reading suffered serious head injuries in an incident involving a store display barrier, police said.

The boy is believed to have been injured when the fixture fell on him. He has been named as Kaden Reddick, though authorities are yet to formally identify him.

Kaden Reddick
Kaden Reddick was taken to the Royal Berkshire hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Photograph: INS News Agency Ltd

The boy was taken to the Royal Berkshire hospital following the incident at the store in the Oracle shopping centre on Monday afternoon, but doctors were unable to save his life and pronounced him dead.

Thames Valley police continue to investigate the death, which is being treated as unexplained but not suspicious.

Police said the child “suffered serious head injuries after an incident involving a store display barrier”.

The shop was closed on Tuesday as investigations inside continued. Bunches of flowers had been left against the shop’s shutters.

Det Supt Paul Hayles said: “Detectives are now working with the local authority and the store owners to gather all of the information on how this incident happened.”

Topshop – part of the Arcadia group controlled by the retail tycoon Sir Philip Green – said in a statement: “The Topshop board, together with thousands of staff, are deeply saddened by the horrific accident that occurred in our Reading store yesterday afternoon.

“All our thoughts are very much with the family at this difficult time. We are thoroughly investigating all the events surrounding this extremely sad situation.”

Reading borough council said: “As the enforcing authority for health and safety within retail premises, we will be working closely with the police, who are at present leading on the investigation.”

An inquest is yet to open and no date for a postmortem examination has been set.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.