Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Steven Morris

Boy of 14 arrested over Friday 13th school attack claim

Police are patrolling the school and surrounding streets.
Police are patrolling the school and surrounding streets. Photograph: Mike Kemp/In Pictures/Corbis

A 14-year-old boy has been arrested after allegedly claiming on social media that he planned to carry out a attack on Friday 13th at a village secondary school.

Some parents have said they plan to keep their children away from Heathfield community school in West Monkton, near Taunton, Somerset, and the headteacher said the incident was being taken very seriously.

Police have confirmed that a boy was arrested before being released on bail and officers are patrolling the school and the area around it. But police are playing down rumours on social media that the boy was intending to carry out a massacre inspired by school killings in the US.

Peter Hoare, the headteacher, tried to reassure pupils and parents in a statement on the school’s website. He wrote: “You will no doubt be aware of reports this week of an ongoing police investigation involving the school and I appreciate that this has been a cause of concern for students and parents.

“I would like to reassure you that we have taken this very seriously and that all the right steps have been taken to ensure the safety of everyone at the school.

“We are confident that appropriate steps have been taken and the school will be open as usual and attendance is expected. I am aware of considerable speculation and rumour circulating at the school, particularly on social media.

“The police advise that this is not helpful to their inquiries and I would ask that parents treat this information with caution and refrain from contributing anything that may prejudice the police investigation.”

In a tweet, the school made it clear that the concerns centred on social media.

Avon and Somerset police said: “We’re working closely with the school, children’s services and health to make sure we’re providing all the support we can to the headteacher and school, the child and his family.

“Concerns were raised by the school on Monday 9 November and we responded immediately and a 14-year-old boy was arrested to safeguard him and enable our enquiries to continue.

“Parents can be reassured that everything is being done, police officers and police community support officers have been providing reassurance and support to the school and community with these daily patrols.

“There have been comments on social media which has been unhelpful and causes unnecessary worry and concern.”

In his introduction to the school on its website, Hoare emphasises what a friendly place it is. “Visitors and friends of the school often comment on the very warm and lively atmosphere that exists at Heathfield. It is certainly a very happy school, a place where we expect students to take responsibility for themselves and for each other, where any form of bullying is totally unacceptable and where individuals are encouraged to thrive.”

A non-uniform day scheduled for Friday has been cancelled.

In an Ofsted report published earlier this year, inspectors judged the school “outstanding”. The report said: “Students feel very safe in this school, and parents agree. The school’s work to keep students safe and secure, both within the school and in a wider context, is outstanding.”

About 1,200 pupils aged 11 to 18 attend the school, which specialises in the performing arts.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.