Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
World
Jess Glass & David Raven

Boy, 6, who went missing on school trip is found after 9-hour search

A six-year-old boy who sparked a mass search when he went missing while at a motorway service station has been found overnight.

Aadil Umair Rahim disappeared at Newport Pagnell Services on the M1 motorway on Friday evening, reportedly while on a school trip from Nottingham to London.

Thames Valley Police began a search at around 7.15pm and announced Aadil had been found nine hours later, shortly after 4am on Saturday.

The force said a large number of officers were involved in the search, as well as a helicopter from the National Police Air Service.

After Aadil was found, his father Umair Rahim wrote: "My son has arrived and he is safe now. Thanks for the prayers. Shukar to Allah.

"Thank to Thames Valley Police helicopter services fire department and safe and rescue department who worked tirelessly for 9 hours and found him safe.

"There was more than a 1,000 people looking for him I'm thankful to everyone."

Thames Valley Police Superintendent Amy Clements thanked the officers and members of the public involved in the overnight search.

She said: "This was a very difficult operation involving a very young boy and we are relieved to say that Aadil has been found safe and well.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the local community, who immediately offered help in trying to find Aadil."

On Friday night, Highways England confirmed the services had been closed in both directions due to an "ongoing police incident."

Superintendent Amy Clements said: "This was a very difficult operation involving a very young boy and we are relieved to say that Aadil has been found safe and well.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the local community, who immediately offered help in trying to find Aadil.

"Also, I'd like to thank those who have co-operated with police during this time.

"This was a large operation in difficult conditions, so I'd like to also publicly thank the search and rescue teams who assisted in the search and the large number of officers involved.

"We are so very glad that he has been found and are thankful to everyone involved in assisting that."

On Friday night, Highways England confirmed the services had been closed in both directions due to an "ongoing police incident."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.