Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
Sun-Times Wire

Boy, 16, charged in connection with fatal Bridgeport carjacking

A teenage boy is charged in connection with a carjacking from Dec. 21, 2020, in Bridgeport. | Ashlee Rezin Garcia/Sun-Times file

A 16-year-old boy is facing felony charges in connection with a fatal carjacking last week in Bridgeport, but has not been charged with murder, according to police.

The teen, who is not being named because he’s charged as a juvenile, faces two counts of aggravated vehicular hijacking and one count of possession of a stolen vehicle, Chicago police said.

Shaui Guan, 33, was killed Monday evening near his home in the 3000 block of South Union Avenue after apparently refusing to hand over his keys during the attempted carjacking, authorities said.

Surveillance video showed Guan get out of his car about 6 p.m. as another vehicle pulled up nearby and someone inside appeared to ask for his keys, police said.

Guan called 911 and reported that he was being robbed, but was followed by two cars as he walked away, police said. While on the phone with 911, at least one person fired at him from inside one of the cars.

Responding officers found Guan on the ground and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said the shooting is still under investigation. No other charges have been announced.

Read more on crime, and track the city’s homicides.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.