Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chronicle Live
Chronicle Live
Sport
Chris Watson

Boss sends stark warning after Newcastle United coronavirus outbreak

Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson says the coronavirus outbreak at Newcastle United is a stark reminder for everyone to remain vigilant against the continuing threat posed by the pandemic.

Newcastle were due to face Aston Villa at Villa Park on Friday night but the fixture was postponed following a "significant increase" in Covid-19 cases in the Magpies camp.

A number of Newcastle players and staff have been self-isolating after returning positive test results.

“I have great sympathy for Steve (Bruce) and the team,” Hodgson said. “It must be a real blow after a good result against us to not be able to play the game now.

Lee Ryder on NUFC's interest in Brandon Williams

“What it does show is how vigilant we all still need to be. We have been so well looked after by the Premier League with our testing regimes.

“We have worked so hard, all clubs have I am sure, to obey the rules and make certain we avoid cases as best we can.

“What Newcastle have shown us is that you are never sheltered from it, even though you are doing everything right in your environment. I’m afraid people don’t live in this environment 24/7.

“They do have other people they see, other family members, and they live in areas maybe where Covid is a bit more virile than it seems to be in this southern part of London. Every sympathy, and a little reminder that there but for the grace of God go I.”

Announcing the postponement of the Villa game on Tuersday, Newcastle said in a statement: "Newcastle United was one of the first clubs in the country to close its training ground prior to the first national lockdown in March and the club introduced comprehensive Covid-19 protocols in line with Premier League and government guidance to protect its players and staff ahead of Project Restart.

"While the club has continued to ensure strict adherence to these protocols, and despite previously experiencing only a very small number of isolated Covid-19 cases, positive test results have risen sharply in recent days.

"Accordingly, the club is now is working with Public Health England North East (PHE), local health authorities and the Premier League in line with Covid-19 protocols to identify the source of the outbreak and to ensure the risk of further transmission continues to be minimised.

"All players and training ground staff will be re-tested this week and a meeting between the club, Premier League and PHE will take place to assess the test results.

"The club will not be naming individuals who have contracted Covid-19 and asks that their privacy is respected."

Villa fully supported the decision to call the game off, adding: "We would like to thank both the Premier League Board and Newcastle United for their comprehensive and transparent communication during the process which resulted in this decision being reached.

"Everybody at Aston Villa wishes a speedy recovery to all those at Newcastle United affected by the virus."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.