Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
National
Neil Shaw

Boris won't rule out Plan C and says 'we take whatever steps are necessary'

Boris Johnson has repeatedly declined to rule out further coronavirus restrictions being introduced ahead of Christmas as the Omicron variant spikes, as he said the goal is to “offer a booster” to every adult by the end of the year.

Speaking to broadcasters during a visit to a vaccination clinic near Paddington, west London, the Prime Minister said: “Throughout the pandemic I’ve been at great pains to stress to the public that we have to watch where the pandemic is going and we take whatever steps are necessary to protect public health.

“We think the steps that we are taking – so Plan B, combined with a hugely ambitious acceleration of the booster campaign, bringing it forward by a month so we offer a booster to every adult by the end of the year – we think that’s the right approach.”

Boris Johnson said MPs thinking of rebelling against Plan B measures needed to recognise there was “no room for complacency” in dealing with Omicron.

Asked about support among his backbenchers ahead of Tuesday’s vote, the Prime Minister told broadcasters: “I think that what everybody needs to recognise is a couple of things – that Omicron is a very serious risk to public health, and that it’s spreading very fast, and I think there’s no room for complacency.

“But we have the vaccines, our position remains incomparably better than it was last year. And I hope that people will also understand – colleagues in Westminster, around the country – will also see that the measures we’re putting in place are balanced and proportionate.”

Boris Johnson has again insisted he “certainly broke no rules” when asked about parties and gatherings in Downing Street.

Speaking on a visit to a vaccination clinic in west London, the Prime Minister told broadcasters: “All that is being looked into. But if I may respectfully say to you… of course, all that must be properly gone into – you’ll be hearing from the Cabinet Secretary about it all.”

He said the Cabinet Secretary would report back “as soon as we reasonably can”, and the investigation could include a virtual quiz Mr Johnson was pictured at on December 15 last year.

Mr Johnson added: “But frankly, when I look at what we’re trying to do now, the crucial thing is that people understand the challenge that is posed by Omicron. But also understand that this is a challenge that collectively we can meet.

“What I’m focused on, frankly, is the vaccine rollout.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.