Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Rebecca Koncienzcy

Boris Johnson sends message to Liverpool after taxi explosion

The Prime Minister has sent a message to Liverpool after a taxi exploded outside the Liverpool Women's Hospital leaving one dead.

Boris Johnson described the blast as "awful" and thanked the emergency services for their professionalism.

The PM tweeted: "My thoughts are with all those affected by the awful incident in Liverpool today.

READ MORE: Live updates as emergency services called to Liverpool Women's Hospital

"I want to thank the emergency services for their quick response and professionalism, and the police for their ongoing work on the investigation."

Earlier Home Secretary Priti Patel tweeted: "I am being kept regularly updated on the awful incident at Liverpool Women's Hospital.

"Our police and emergency services are working hard to establish what happened and it is right they are given the time and space to do so."

Merseyside Police confirmed they were called to the hospital on Crown Street today, Sunday, November 14, at 10.59am after reports of a car engulfed in flames.

At around 3.30pm police confirmed the death of a man and another person injured, but not thought to be life threatening.

A large cordon was put in place while fire crews tackled the blaze, patents evacuated and visitors turned away as an investigation got underway.

Armed police were also seen in various locations around Liverpool and Counter Terrorism Police North West, based within Greater Manchester Police, has since confirmed three men have been arrested from the Kensington area.

GMP said: "Officers in Merseyside have arrested three men - aged 29, 26 & 21 - in the Kensington area of Liverpool under the Terrorism Act.

"Counter Terrorism Police North West is continuing to work closely with colleagues at Merseyside Police as our investigation continues at pace."

Earlier today Merseyside Police's chief constable Serena Kennedy gave a statement outside the hospital, and said: "So far we understand that the car involved was a taxi which pulled up at the hospital shortly before the explosion occurred.

"Work is still going on to establish what has happened and could take some time before we are in a position to confirm anything.

"We are keeping an open mind as to what caused the explosion, but given how it has happened - out of caution - counter terrorism police are leading the investigation supported by Merseyside Police.

"Our response is ongoing at the hospital and will be for some time. Cordons are in place, and there are some road closures."

Police said a major incident had been declared and images of a vehicle on fire, and later burnt out, at the scene earlier were shared online.

Follow our live blog for all the latest updates.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.