Boris Johnson plans to alleviate worries over a winter lockdown by announcing a “tool box” of contingency measures next week, it has been reported.
The Prime Minister is desperate to avoid another lockdown as cases surge, with the number of people in hospital over 8,000 for the first time since March.
Booster vaccines are expected to get the green light from experts within days, while ministers have said people will need a vaccine passport to enter stadiums and nightclubs by the end of this month.
While both policies have been trailed for weeks, there are still no confirmed details and time is running out before a winter wave.

The Sun say an advertising 'blitz' will ensure the most vulnerable to get a third Covid jab if cases continue to rise in the months ahead.
Number 10 also hope the biggest flu jab rollout in history will ease pressure on the over-stretched NHS.
The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) is looking at whether to deliver flu and Covid jabs at the same time - and whether to "mix and match" different vaccine brands in the booster programme.
A Department of Health insider told the Financial Times: "We’ll be giving Pfizer to those who had AstraZeneca the first time, and AstraZeneca to those who had Pfizer.
"It’s the best combination to get as much protection as possible."
Downing Street declined to say if the Prime Minister was planning to announce a ‘toolbox’ of measures next week.
A spokesman said: “We know winter is a difficult period for the NHS. Anything we needed to announce or say we’d do so in the usual way.”
Asked if a full lockdown would be an aspect of any toolbox, he replied: “That’s not something we are looking to do.”
It was confirmed on Thursday that UK Covid deaths have risen by 167 as cases surge by 15% amid fears of an Autumn spike in infections.
A total of 38,013 new cases have also been recorded in the last 24 hours.
The figures compare with 191 fatalities and 38,975 infections reported yesterday, while 178 deaths and 38,154 cases were announced this time last week.
The PM has repeatedly told the nation he is determined to avoid closing the country again - though he's refused to rule it out.

He will extend the Coronavirus Act, which while not responsible for lockdowns, gives authorities powers to close down individual ports, railway stations, airports, schools, bars, restaurants and other events.
But an ally of Mr Johnson insisted: “It’s going to be different this year – we’ll have the booster programme to give the most vulnerable an extra shot of protection and the highest number of people offered a flu jab yet."
A member of Sage told the i newspaper that the government has been looking at a possible “firebreak” lockdown in the event that hospitalisations rates overwhelm the NHS this autumn.
But a full lockdown would only be considered as a “last resort”.

“This is essentially the precautionary break that Sage suggested last year,” the scientist said.
“It would be sensible to have contingency plans, and if a lockdown is required, to time it so that it has minimal economic and societal impact.
“We are going to be at a peak, albeit an extended peak, quite soon, so it’s not really the same situation as last year, when failure to reduce prevalence would have resulted in collapse of the NHS and people dying in car parks.
“Hospitals might be overflowing before deaths reach the same level. Acting early will prevent this level.”
A government spokesman denied it was “planning a lockdown or firebreak around the October half term”, but failed to rule it out as an option.
Lockdown sceptic Sir Iain Duncan Smith told The Sun : “The only tool box necessary is a crystal clear commitment never to shut down this country again.
"Boris promised, we are on a road out and there can be no turning back now.
“Unless the toolbox means no lockdowns ever again, frankly the government will be a box of tools.”