Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Ryan Merrifield

Boris Johnson coronavirus condition 'unchanged' after night in intensive care

There has been no change overnight to Boris Johnson's condition after the PM was taken into intensive care following a deterioration in his coronavirus symptoms, sources have said.

Mr Johnson was given oxygen last night and taken to ITU at central London's St Thomas' Hospital, in what Downing Street said was a precautionary measure.

His GP apparently ordered him to go to hospital after a video check-up showed how bad his coronavirus symptoms were, according to reports.

The PM - who was isolating in the flat at 11 Downing Street - was deteriorating by the hour on Sunday, coughing and struggling to breathe, it has been said.

The PM was rushed into ITU on Monday night (REUTERS)

He was taken by car to hospital around 8pm that night.

Having tweeted from his hospital bed that he was in good spirits, hours later he was being rushed into ICU last night with his condition worsening.

As one of the UK's best known medical institutions, St Thomas' is located just a short distance from Westminster Bridge - a towering presence over the River Thames.

Police officers outside St Thomas' Hospital in central London (PA)
Johnson and pregnant partner Carrie Symonds are unable to see each other while the PM is in hospital (REUTERS)

And medical experts say the hospital has one of the best ICUs in the country, meaning the PM will be getting the best possible care while being treated there.

Reports say he was given oxygen prior to going into intensive care, though has not been put on a ventilator.

Uniformed police officers have been standing at the main entrance since the PM's arrival on Sunday and police vehicles have been seen in the area.

Mr Johnson's heavily pregnant fiancee Carrie Symonds is barred from visiting him as he battles the virus alone in intensive care.

The 32-year-old former political adviser is just weeks away from giving birth and previously revealed she was also struck down by the killer bug last week.

She is unable to see the PM due to her pregnancy and because visitors are banned in an effort to contain the spread.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.