Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
National

Boos ring out as police shut down Leicester Square singalong

Loud boos could be heard after police shut down an impromptu singalong as a busker performed in Leicester Square.

A crowd, largely ignoring social distancing guidelines, gathered in the popular London tourist spot and sang along to Sweet Caroline as a busker played on the drums on Friday night.

A clip posted on social media shows police arrive and boos can be heard ringing out after officers appear to ask the busker to stop.

The scenes reportedly took place shortly after the closure of pubs and bars at 10pm.

It comes after Professor Kevin Fenton, London regional director for Public Health England, said there was "undeniable evidence" that coronavirus is spreading in the capital.

He appealed this week to all Londoners to follow social distancing and good hygiene rules to try to combat the growing epidemic, as official figures showed there were 6,660 news cases in the city in the week to October 5.

Police shut down a large singalong in Leicester Square on Friday night (Zora Suleman)

Doctors in the capital believe it is around two weeks behind the North West in the epidemic's course, with cities including Liverpool and Manchester having seen cases soar.

It also comes with Prime Minister Boris Johnson set to announce stricter virus restrictions for England on Monday.

Earlier this week the Metropolitan Police and London boroughs signed up to a partnership agreement to assist in the enforcement of coronavirus restrictions in the capital.

Police officers, along with council officers and council wardens, will work together to ensure members of the public comply with the regulations.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Matt Twist, leading the Met's response to Covid-19, said: “The majority of the public continue to comply with the rules and appreciate the risk that Covid-19 poses. By working together with local authorities, those who continue to break the rules, be they individuals or businesses, can expect to have their illegal gatherings dispersed and face the consequences of business closures or fines.”

Cllr Danny Thorpe, London Councils’ executive member for Crime and Public Protection, added: “If businesses or individuals persistently flout the rules and put other people at risk of coming into contact with Covid-19, London boroughs will not hesitate to take firm action, working with our Metropolitan Police partners.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.