Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Stephen Topping

Bomb squad called to Daisy Nook after over 1,000 'explosives' found

A huge haul of potential explosive devices has been uncovered at Daisy Nook Country Park by magnetic fishermen.

Emergency services and a bomb squad scrambled to the park, near Oldham and Ashton, on Sunday evening (January 9) after more than 1,000 suspected railway explosives were found underwater at Sammy's Basin.

Sophie Doyle, who runs the Magnetic Pull page on Facebook, was one of the magnetic fishermen who discovered the items.

READ MORE: Greater Manchester mum facing prosecution on why she's not sent her children back to school for 20 MONTHS

She told the Manchester Evening News that it was the second week that the group had found such devices at Daisy Nook - with emergency services previously racing out after 287 items were found in Crime Lake.

Sophie, 29, said: "We changed locations because we didn't want to keep pulling [explosives] up all the time, as it's a drain on resources.

Magnetic fishermen discovered this huge pile of items, believed to be railway track explosives, at Daisy Nook (facebook.com/magneticpull2000)

"We moved up to Sammy's Basin, which is still in Daisy Nook, and that's where we found over 1,000 of them.

"They had been there for a very long time.

"We weren't able to identify what model they were, there were so many different models of them."

Sophie says the group of hobbyists kept discovering the railway track explosives wherever they chucked their magnets - even as they tried to avoid them.

Sophie Doyle (MEN)

Police and firefighters again had to be called out to Daisy Nook, while a bomb disposal unit also descended to pick up the huge haul of items found by the group.

"The police and the bomb squad were really shocked when they saw the big pile of explosives that we had piled on the floor for them," added Sophie.

Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Officers spent a number of hours at the scene with a cordon in place to protect the public.

The items were taken away to be checked by the bomb disposal team.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: "Officers were called to a report of possible unexploded devices found in a canal in Daisy Nook Country Park in Stannybrook Road, Failsworth, just after 5.30pm on Sunday (January 9, 2022).

"Officers and the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit (EOD) were in attendance alongside Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.

"A 50-metre cordon was in place as a precaution.

"All devices were removed and the area open again at 9pm.

"Devices were taken away by the EOD for testing."

Get more news, sport and what's on straight to your email inbox by subscribing to the Manchester Evening News' free newsletters here.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.