Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Mark Tran

Bomb experts defuse 450kg second world war explosive in London

Bomb disposal expert
Royal Logistic Corps bomb disposal expert checks the fuse on second world war bomb found in Bermondsey. Photograph: Sergeant Rupert Frere RLC/PA

Bomb disposal experts have disarmed a 450kg (1,000lb) bomb from the second world war found in Bermondsey, south-east London. Local residents, evacuated to nearby hotels and a local sports centre after the device was discovered on Monday, have been allowed to return to their homes.


The device is being taken to Kent, where it will be destroyed, police said.
A spokesman added: “Officers thank those living, working and visiting the area for their patience and cooperation throughout this incident.”

Robert Shaw, a former bomb disposal expert who worked in Northern Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan, said the Royal Logistic Corps would have surrounded the bomb with sandbags to minimise the effect of any premature detonation before making it safe.

Bomb experts are working to make safe the 5ft-long bomb.
Bomb experts are working to make safe the 5ft-long bomb. Photograph: Sergeant Rupert Frere RLC/PA

“They will be working to get to the side of the bomb and remove the fuses,” he said. “Once they are removed, the bomb can be taken away on the back of the truck.”

The evacuated residents said that they were using the opportunity to get acquainted. “When I first heard about it, I thought it was a joke, but when I saw the police I realised it was serious,” Juliana Ayeni, 32, a care worker, told Agence France-Presse. “Before, nobody talks to each other, but after what’s happened, people just realise life’s too short, let’s just mingle.”

Paul Carriere, 76, a retired sports teacher, said: “When you look at the world where we live, there’s a lot worse than this.”

Lucas Green, a Southwark ward councillor, said the police had told him a construction vehicle had hit the bomb and that it was 2-3 metres below ground in the Grange area of Southwark. The bomb was found on the site of the Southwark Irish pensioners centre.


He also said that the local tenants’ association had asked him if it could keep the bomb and use it as a sculpture in its garden.

Southwark was heavily bombed in the second world war as it was an industrial and commercial hub. London Fire Brigade said that between 2009 and 2014 it had been called to attend to seven unexploded second world war bombs and five unexploded hand grenades.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.