Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Joseph Timan

Bolton makes bid to be released from Greater Manchester lockdown

Bolton's bid to be released from the latest regional restrictions has been backed by Greater Manchester's mayor.

The borough has seen a sharp decline in the number of coronavirus cases.

The latest figures cited by regional leaders today (Wednesday) show there were 16.3 positive cases per 100,000 people in the borough last week - down from 28.9 the week before.

On Monday, Conservative councillor David Greenhalgh, the leader of Bolton Council, called on the government to lift the restrictions in the borough.

Speaking at a remote press conference this afternoon, Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham said that Bolton has the backing of Greater Manchester's leaders.

Andy Burnham reveals latest infection rates for Greater Manchester and says he believes lockdown restrictions have worked

He said: "There's a very much changed position in Bolton and Stockport and consistent with what we said last week where Wigan had a very different position, we're obviously following that approach this week.

"There's a political consensus within those boroughs now to ask the government to remove the restriction on social gatherings in the home introduced at the back end of July."

Mr Burnham will be writing to the health secretary, who will make the final decision on restrictions, setting out Greater Manchester's position.

He repeated calls to reopen casinos, bowling alleys and beauty parlours in the region following delays to the permitted opening dates by government.

The mayor also criticised the plans to review restrictions on a ward-by-ward basis allowing for different rules in different areas within each borough.

He said the "overwhelming consensus" among Greater Manchester's leaders was that this approach is a recipe for "utter confusion, division and chaos".

But the Labour mayor accused some of "playing politics" at a local level.

He said: "The view of the leaders is that that is entirely the wrong way to go.

"We will continue to be evidence based in the way that we approach this and we will take a responsible course as we've done all along and that is to work through districts and the Greater Manchester Combined Authority.

"We will continue to relay that back to the govenrment."

Mr Bundham also called for more control over the test and trace system in Greater Manchester and for the government to "honour the promise it made" to reallocate resources from the national system to the local level.

Like Bolton, Stockport leaders want their borough to be released from tighter lockdown restrictions imposed upon Greater Manchester.

Last week, more measures were imposed in Oldham, where infection rates had risen. Today (Wednesday), restrictions were relaxed in Wigan.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.