Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
World
Daniel Carvalho

Bolsonaro's medical team rules out surgery for now

The medical team treating Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has ruled out the need for surgery for now as his condition improved after a day of clinical treatment.

The Vila Nova Star Hospital, where the president was admitted in the early hours of Monday after feeling abdominal pain, said in a statement Tuesday morning that Bolsonaro’s intestinal obstruction “disappeared” and there is no need for surgery.

“The patient’s condition continues to evolve well and a liquid diet will be started today,” the hospital said, adding that there’s no date for discharge yet. On Monday night, the hospital had said Bolsonaro’s condition had improved, adding that he had no fever or abdominal pain and even took a short walk.

Newspaper Folha de S.Paulo had reported earlier that Bolsonaro’s doctor Antonio Macedo, who arrived at the hospital from an international trip early Tuesday morning, had told his team he would continue with clinical treatment.

Bolsonaro, 66, tweeted Monday that he started feeling ill after lunch Sunday. He was flown to Sao Paulo overnight with “abdominal discomfort,” his press office said in a note. The president, who’s up for reelection this year, has undergone at least four surgeries related to his 2018 stabbing on the campaign trail.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.