Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - AU
The Guardian - AU
Business
Guardian staff and agencies

Boeing publicises new name for 737 Max planes after crashes

Boeing 737 MAX airplane lands after a test flight at Boeing Field in Seattle
The Boeing 737 Max has been surrounded by controversy since two air disasters in 2019. Photograph: Karen Ducey/Reuters

Boeing appears to have started quietly dropping the “Max” from its 737 Max aircraft in the wake of recent air disasters, instead referring to a 737-8.

The new name has hitherto been used only internally at Boeing and emerged when the company put out a statement on Wednesday to announce it had won its first order for the grounded 737 Max aircraft this year. Poland’s Enter Air SA agreed to buy up to four variants of the jet.

Grzegorz Polaniecki, general director at Enter Air said in the statement: “Despite the current crisis, it is important to think about the future. To that end, we have agreed to order additional 737-8 aircraft. Following the rigorous checks that the 737 Max is undergoing, I am convinced it will be the best aircraft in the world for many years to come.”

The 737 Max jet’s recertification is still hanging in the balance more than a year after its worldwide grounding due to two fatal crashes, in which nearly 350 people died – one in Indonesia (2018) and the other in Ethiopia (2019). The planemaker’s woes have been compounded by the coronavirus crisis hitting air travel.

Boeing’s customers have cancelled more than 400 orders for the 737 Max jets this year, the company said last week. Based on a tighter accounting standard, the 737 Max order cancellations and conversions to other aircraft models now stand at 864.

The planemaker said on Wednesday that Enter Air placed a new order for two 737-8 aircraft with options for two more jets. When the purchase agreement is fully exercised, Enter Air’s 737 Max fleet will rise to 10 aircraft, Boeing said.

S&P Global Ratings analyst Chris DeNicolo said: “Although it is significant because it’s the first Max order since December 2019, it’s a small order ... [Enter Air] likely got a significant discount.”

Enter Air said it had reached a deal with Boeing to address the impact from the 737 Max groundings, and would defer the deliveries of previously ordered Max airplanes following weak air travel demand.

The carrier took deliveries of two 737 Max planes in 2018 and currently has four unfilled orders for the jet.

Boeing’s shares were up about 1% at $171.60.

Reuters contributed to this report

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.