Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
Stephanie Balloo & Hannah Mackenzie Wood

Bodybuilder twins plunge to death from tower block in tragic suicide pact

Twin bodybuilders plunged to their deaths from a tower block after making a suicide pact, an inquest heard.

Marcis and Armands Graudins, both 33, were found dead outside Wickets Tower, Edgbaston after jumping from a window on March 2 this year.

One of the brothers said 'we came together, we go together' before the double tragedy, according to Birmingham Live.

Residents reportedly heard a "loud bang" at 3am before the two bodies were discovered by an "extremely distressed" caretaker when he arrived for work hours later. The siblings, who had both suffered with anxiety, had leapt from the flat they shared on Wyatt Close.

Just weeks before, Marcis had confided to his doctor that he was having suicidal thoughts and had been "measuring windows".

Forensic tents at the scene. (Jonathan Hipkiss/Birmingham Mail)

But he reassured the GP he would not take his own life "due to the effect it would have on his twin brother". Armands, who told colleagues he "didn't want to grow old" and had said if anything happened to his twin, 'he would go too'.

Senior Coroner Louise Hunt recorded a conclusion of suicide for both brothers, alongside "multiple injury" caused by a fall from height as their cause of death. Their inquests were concluded back to back at Birmingham Coroner's Court today, Tuesday, June 28.

Details of the brothers' struggles with anxiety and steroid use were mentioned as the court also heard the "avid gym-goers" were 'quiet neighbours who kept themselves to themselves and were often together'. Sadly, on March 2, they both took their own lives.

Two witnesses heard a loud noise, described as a 'bang' or 'thud', at 3am "but didn't look or check to see what happened", the coroner said. Police officers were called to the scene by an "extremely distressed" caretaker who discovered the two bodies as he arrived for his shift at the block.

On first glance, the worker believed they were two homeless men, but on closer inspection recognised them as residents. After dialling 999, officers arrived and found the men on the grass area outside the high rise with a wide open window above.

Paramedics were already on scene and had confirmed the brothers were deceased, the court heard. Steroids and "related paraphernalia" were found inside their flat, though it did not contribute or cause their deaths.

Police at the scene next to Wickets Tower on Wyatt Close, Edgbaston. (Jonathan Hipkiss/Birmingham Mail)

The brothers, both single men, were identified by co-workers. Marcis, a productive operative, was found to have drugs in his system, but they did not contribute to his actions or his death.

He had a history of injecting steroids into his ankles, the coroner's court heard. He also suffered with social anxiety and used bodybuilding as a way of dealing with his mental health issues.

In January 2022, he was said to be suffering from his anxiety, also telling his GP he 'was not enjoying things', the inquest heard. Marcis admitted he had thought about suicide and had been "measuring windows", but added that he would not take his own life "due to the effect it would have on his twin brother".

In a later appointment, in February, he again stressed that Armands was his "protective factor" and he would not attempt suicide as a result. Recording a conclusion of suicide, Mrs Hunt said: "He was found on the ground outside his flat by a care taker who was attending work. He was found next to his brother who was also deceased.

"The deceased had been suffering from low mood and anxiety. When he was last seen by his GP he was noted to be a lot better and planning to explore counselling through work."

During the subsequent inquest the court heard how Armands, an assistant production supervisor, also took steroids and other drugs bought "off the black market". In a statement, his supervisor described him as a "helpful guy" and "very focused" but said "he had always said he didn't want to grow old" and didn't want a family.

Armands had also told his supervisor how he was kicked out of his family home in Latvia aged 12 or 13 and that it was now 'only him and his brother'. Mrs Hunt, reading his boss' statement, added: "He always said if anything happened to his brother, he would go too. He would say: 'We came together, we go together'.

The last time he saw him, on February 15, he was "trying to talk, but couldn't", the court was told. As he was struggling to speak, he asked Armands to write down what he wanted to say.

His supervisor had said: "I was aware his brother had been in hospital. He wrote down 'I'm not coming back, I will see you on the other side'. He said: 'My parents have been in a car crash and are in a coma'. It was clear he was mentally unwell from what he was writing."

An ambulance was called and Armands, who had taken Zanex for anxiety, was taken to hospital. He was discharged the same day as there was "no concern over suicidal ideology". Just over two weeks later, the pair were found dead.

It appeared he had overdosed on anti-depressants before his death, and though it did not cause his death, it may have contributed to his actions, the coroner said. Mrs Hunt extended her condolences to their family as the inquests were concluded.

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.


Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.