Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
David Struett

Body recovered from Monroe Harbor four days into search for missing boater

Divers found a body Sept. 3, 2020, in Monroe Harbor, believed to be a man who fell off a boat into the water Aug. 30, 2020. | Google Maps

Divers on Thursday recovered a body in Lake Michigan that authorities believe fell off a boat Sunday in Monroe Harbor.

Four days into their search, divers found the body of a man in his 30s about 6 a.m. in the harbor, according to Chicago police spokeswoman Sally Bown.

The body was awaiting transport to the Cook County medical examiner’s office for identification, Bown said.

The body is believed to be that of a 32-year-old man who fell off a boat Sunday evening in the harbor near the 400 block of East Monroe Street, police said. He went underwater and never resurfaced.

Within two hours of searching for him Sunday evening, officials announced it had become a recovery mission.

Two other people have died this year in Monroe Harbor.

Last week, Carlton Hughes drowned in Monroe Harbor after going in the water near the Museum Campus. The 41-year-old Gresham resident died a day later at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

On July 7, Ameera Muhammad, 24, of Bronzeville died after swimming in the harbor during bad weather, officials said

In 2020, at least 40 people have drowned in Lake Michigan, according to the Great Lake Surf Rescue Project, which tracks drownings.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.