Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Sally Hind

Body found in the search for missing man Paul Connelly

A body has been found in the search for missing Bute man Paul Connelly.

A major search was launched after Paul, 45, vanished on the island almost two months ago.

Police confirmed his family had been informed of the discovery of a body near Kingarth on Sunday morning.

Enquiries into the circumstances surrounding the death are ongoing.

Paul's loved ones have previously appealed for help tracing him.

Brothers James, 37, and Brian, 46, said relatives and friends had scoured every inch of the island but found no trace of vulnerable Paul.

Searches had also been carried out on the mainland in Largs and Greenock.

In a previous appeal for information, Sergeant Anthony Hannah, of Rothesay Police Office, said Paul lived alone but it was "unusual" for him not to be in contact with family and police were becoming "increasingly concerned for his wellbeing and safety".

They appealed for anyone who may have dashcam footage between November 25 and December 2 to get in contact with police.

A statement said: " Police Scotland can confirm that the body of a man was found near Kingarth on the Isle of Bute around 11.50am on Sunday, February 2, 2020.

"The family of local man Paul Connolly, missing since November 2019, have been made aware of the discovery.   

"Formal identification is yet to take place. Enquiries into the circumstances surrounding the death are ongoing."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.