Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Sally Hind

Body found in search for Dundee man Allan Smeaton missing for two weeks

A body has been found in the search for a Dundee man missing for two weeks.

Allan Smeaton, 49, was last seen at around 2.45am on Saturday, March 28 in the city's Ballindean Place.

But Police Scotland confirmed on Sunday that his family had been notified of the discovery of a body in the grounds of Ballumbie Primary School.

The body was found in the grounds of Ballumbie Primary School (Google)

The discovery comes just days after Allan's family made a heartbreaking appeal for him to come home.

Police Scotland said the body had been found on Saturday evening and a formal identification was being carried out.

A statement said: “Police Scotland can confirm that the body of a man was found within the grounds of Ballumbie Primary School, Lothian Crescent, Dundee around 11.45pm on Saturday, 11 April, 2020.

“The family of local man Allan Smeaton, missing since the end of March, have been made aware of the discovery.

“Formal identification is yet to take place and a post mortem will carried out in due course to establish the exact cause of death.

"The death is not being treated as suspicious.”

This week Allan's family issued a statement through police, saying:“Allan, if you are reading this we need you to come home.

"Everyone is missing you, we need to know that you are safe and well."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.