The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) is set to review its decision to remove Bestlin Group from its blacklist this week, BMTA president Nuttachat Charuchinda said during a board conference yesterday.
If taken off the list, Bestlin would be eligible to enter the new round of bidding for 489 natural gas for vehicle (NGV) buses, given that it meets the qualifications stipulated for the auction, he said.
Mr Nuttachat said the bidding for the buses will start today from 9am to 11am, with three candidates interested so far. While Bestlin was listed as a candidate, it is unable to participate in the bidding until its status in the blacklist is finalised.
The two other companies listed to join the bidding so far include Thai Technology & Development Co Ltd, and a joint venture between JV Converting Co Inc (JVCC) and Cho Thavee Plc (CHO).
Mr Nuttachat added the BMTA will decide all eligible candidates by Sept 1, before an e-auction for the buses is held on Sept 8.
If the auction process proceeds according to schedule, he said, the buses are expected to be delivered to the BMTA within 90 days.
However, the BMTA said it would set the same 3.3-billion-baht price tag for the buses that Bestlin had received during the first round of bidding. The price had been reduced from 4 billion baht due to an Asean free-trade agreement that allowed tax exemptions worth 1.2 million baht per bus.
Bestlin became mired in controversy after it was accused by the Customs Department of falsely claiming its buses were made in and imported from Malaysia. The department suspected they were actually produced and assembled in China.
The BMTA scrapped Bestlin's contract when it failed to deliver all the buses within the specified time frame.