Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chronicle Live
Chronicle Live
National
Hannah Graham & Kieran Murray

Blyth murder probe: Everything we know so far after man dies following assault

Police have launched a murder investigation after a man died in Northumberland .

Officers received a report that a 30-year-old man had been assaulted in a property on Hallside Road in Blyth .

Emergency services rushed to property at around 1.55am on Monday but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Northumbria Police has now launched a murder investigation and are hunting for the man responsible for the assault.

Here is a glance at what we know so far.

Forensics have arrived in Blyth in connection with an ongoing murder investigation (Newcastle Chronicle)

What has happened?

Police have launched a murder investigation after a man died following an assault inside a Northumberland home.

Emergency services rushed to an address in Blyth in the early hours of Monday morning after a 30-year-old man was assaulted.

The man had been socialising with people he knew inside the address when he has got into an altercation and was assaulted.

Paramedics pronounced the victim dead at the scene.

Where did the incident happen?

The incident occurred inside a residential property on Hallside Road in Blyth at around 1.55am on Monday morning.

Who is the victim?

The identity of the victim has yet to be revealed by police.

A post-mortem will take place later today to establish the cause of death.

The cordon on Hallside Road as police deal with an incident (Newcastle Chronicle)

Has anyone been arrested?

No. When police arrived at Hallside Road the person believed to be responsible had left the area.

A manhunt is now ongoing to trace the culprit, who was an associate of the victim and had been in the address throughout the evening.

Have police said anything?

Northumbria Police’s Superintendent Helen Anderson, the senior investigating officer on the case, is wanting to reassure residents in Blyth that there was no wider risk to the public.

Detective Inspector Helen Anderson (Newcastle Chronicle)

She said: “First and foremost our thoughts are with the family of the man who has lost his life in the early hours of this morning.

“We have specially trained Family Liaison Officers (FLOs) supporting them at this difficult time and we are working hard to get them some answers.

“This incident has taken place in a private address following an altercation between people who were known to each other and who had been socialising together throughout the evening.

“Enquiries are ongoing to establish exactly what has happened and how the victim in this case has ultimately lost his life.

“We are currently carrying out enquiries to trace a named person and we would appeal directly for that person to come forward and speak to police.

“High visibility patrols are taking place across Blyth to carry out enquiries but to also reassure anyone who is concerned about the police activity.

“I want to make it clear that those involved are known to each other and there is no wider risk to members of the public in the area.

“A team of detectives are working hard to establish the facts and we would encourage anyone with information to come forward and contact police.”

What has the ambulance service said?

A North East Ambulance Service spokesman said: "We were called out at 1.47am on Monday morning to an address on Hallside Road in Blyth.

"We dispatched a rapid response team, a doubled-crewed ambulance and a clinical care manager to the scene while support was also provided from the  Great North Air Ambulance ."

Is the area still closed?

A section of Hallside Road remains cordoned off by police as their investigation continues.

A number of properties remain behind the police tape with officers patrolling the scene.

Specialist search teams and forensic officers are at the scene scouring for evidence.

What have neighbours said?

Dawn Allan said: “It’s a shock to have someone dying on your street, it’s the last thing you want to hear. The street is normally alright - you do get some roughness coming through the alleyway - mostly kids.”

Alan Coulthard added: “I had thought it was something bad from what I’d seen last night, but it is a shock to hear of somebody dying.”

One mother, who didn’t want to be named, said: “It’s scary but it’s something I’m not that surprised about - there’s always something going on over there."

Another neighbour added: "My daughter used to play outside but I wouldn’t let her now - there’s always cars going up and down to that part of the street. It’s an alright place to live apart from that.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.