Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
PTI

BJP refused demand for Central Cabinet berths in 2019: Nitish Kumar

Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on August 12 said he had decided against JD(U) joining the government at the Centre, after the BJP's refusal to his demand for four ministerial berths in 2019.

He also asserted that the induction of his former close aide R.C.P. Singh last year, did not have his consent.

"I had said in 2019 that we should get at least four berths. We had 16 MPs, they had just one more from Bihar. Agreeing to anything less than that would have sent a bad message in Bihar from where they had inducted five people. They refused so we did not join,” Mr. Kumar said.

Asked about BJP leaders' contention that his consent was sought before the induction of Mr. Singh, the CM said "it is untrue”.

“He (R.C.P.) was the national president and I did not approve of the development. A reason why I made him step down from the top party post six months later,” Mr. Kumar told reporters.

“They refused so we did not join ”Nitish Kumar Bihar Chief Minister

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.