Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Chris Dyer

Binman jailed for killing Scots girlfriend with plastic tray during drunken lockdown row

A binman has been jailed for life for killing his girlfriend with a plastic tray during a drunken lockdown row - just days after moving in with her.

Wayne Morris, 47, had been staying with Ruth Brown, 52, at her home in Bognor Regis, West Sussex, during the first coronavirus lockdown last April.

He battered the mother-of-two to death with the plastic tray in a "ferocious" attack not long after moving in with her, but claimed he had no memory of the assault.

Morris moved her body from her kitchen to her bedroom, mopped and tidied up, then after spending a day with his daughter, went on the run to the Isle of Wight where he hid out in a tent.

The couple had been in a long-term relationship but lived separatly until Morris moved in with Ruth due to the pandemic just a few days before the murder.

Morris was convicted of murder following an eight-day trial that concluded yesterday (Wed) with a guilty verdict from the jury.

At Brighton Crown Court today he was jailed for life and told he will serve a minimum of 17 years.

Following Morris' life sentence Ruth's brother, Frank Brown, speaking on behalf of her family, told of the sorrow of her children Lauren and Arran.

He said: "My sister Ruth was taken from us in the most terrible and tragic of circumstances.

"Wayne Morris has said on several occasions during this trial that he will have to live with the consequences of his actions for the rest of his life.

"He is not the only one. Lauren and Arran will have to live for the rest of their lives without a loving mother."

Three days after her killing last April 8, family members raised the alarm as Ruth had not been seen for days.

When police arrived she was found dead in her bed, but it became clear she had been attacked in the kitchen, police said.

A postmortem confirmed she died from severe and repeated head injuries - caused by the tray, parts of which were found in the kitchen and in a bin outside the house.

Morris had moved her body upstairs and tried to clean the kitchen, but then left the house and three days later (April 11), fled Bognor and went to the Isle of Wight with a tent to sleep rough.

Police found him and Morris was arrested by Hampshire officers in Sandown the next morning.

Frank Brown added: "My sister and I will have to live for the rest of our lives without a beloved sister.

"Our wider family will have to live for the rest of their lives without a niece, an auntie, a cousin and a Godmother. Others will have to live for the rest of their lives without a dear and close friend.

Scot Ruth Brown (Sussex Police)

"The shock of hearing of Ruth's murder almost a year ago, and listening to the harrowing evidence at trial over the last week, will remain with us as a family for the rest of our lives.

"It is especially painful as it came only a matter of months after we lost our eldest brother to pneumonia in January 2020.

"We were still mourning the loss of one sibling when another was wrenched from us in the most violent and dreadful way.

"We thank the jury for finding Wayne Morris guilty of this shocking and vicious crime, and we ask that our privacy be respected during this difficult time."

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Mark O'Brien of Sussex Police today described the murder as a "violent and sustained attack".

He said: "Morris and Ruth Brown had been in a relationship for a number of years. They lived at separate addresses but Morris had moved in with Ruth, due to the pandemic, just a few days before the murder.

"On April 8 the couple were involved in an argument culminating in Morris carrying out a violent and sustained attack on Ruth, that caused serious and significant injuries and from which she died.

"Having admitted in court to killing Ruth, Morris made out that he could not remember his actions due to intoxication.

"The jury have clearly seen through this defence in returning their verdict of murder

"My thoughts remain with the family of Ruth Brown and I thank them for their resolve throughout the investigation and trial.

"The violent actions of Morris have cut short the life of Ruth, devastating her family and friends.

"I sincerely hope that in time they can come to terms with what has happened. Wayne Morris will now spend many years of his life behind bars.

"I also wish to thank the CPS, and particularly prosecuting counsel Mr Philip Bennetts QC for his work in presenting this case."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.