Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business

BHP iron ore worker charged with rape in Western Australia

Global miner BHP Group said on Wednesday that it had terminated the employment of a Western Australian worker after a rape allegation, the second case of alleged sexual assault by a BHP worker to become public this month.

Western Australian state police said on Wednesday they charged a 42-year-old man in August 2020 after he allegedly sexually assaulted a woman in Perth in July last year. The man's trial date has been listed for a Perth court in July 2022, state police said in a statement.

A BHP spokesman said in a statement the alleged incident occurred at a private residence in Perth while employees were off roster.

"We have supported the individual in reporting to police, who have subsequently laid charges against the accused. The accused was also immediately stood down and their employment subsequently terminated. We are providing on-going support to the person involved who is still employed with us,” BHP said.

Reuters was unable to contact the accused' s legal representatives for comment.

State police charged a man on June over a separate alleged sexual assault by a worker at BHP's Mulla Mulla accommodation camp in November 2020. BHP said the accused was also dismissed.

(Reporting by Melanie Burton; Editing by Jon Boyle)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.