Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Pat Hurst

Benjamin Mendy rape trial jury told judge will accept majority verdicts

PA Wire

Jurors in the rape trial of Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy have been told by the judge he will accept majority verdicts.

Mendy, 28, denies seven counts of rape, one of attempted rape and one of sexual assault relating to six women.

His co-accused, Louis Saha Matturie, 41, denies six rapes and three sexual assaults relating to seven women.

Both men have been on trial at Chester Crown Court since August 10 last year.

The jury, of seven men and four women, one juror being discharged earlier for medical reasons, first went out to consider verdicts on December 5 and Wednesday was the 12th day they had been out.

The direction from Judge Steven Everett, overseeing the trial, means he can accept a verdict upon which at least 10 of the jurors agree – rather than up to now only accepting unanimous verdicts with the agreement of all 11 jurors.

Mendy’s offences are alleged to have taken place at his mansion in Prestbury, Cheshire, between October 2018 and August last year.

The jury were sent home at 4.10pm on Wednesday and will return to court at 10am on Thursday to continue to consider their verdicts.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.