Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Times of India
The Times of India
National
TNN

Bengaluru: Drunk-driving checks back after 18 months; 46 booked

BENGALURU: City police, who had suspended drink-and-drive checks for the last 18 months, resumed the enforcement from Friday midnight and booked 46 people.

However, instead of using alcometers, all 46 riders/drivers were subjected to blood tests. To decide on which riders/drivers need to be subjected to medical tests, police relied on pre-alcometer era technique: the personnel on duty sniffing people.

“Once we could smell alcohol on them, we took them to a government hospital for the test. Following the doctor’s report that the samples tested positive for alcohol, we booked them,” Kuldeep Kumar Jain, deputy commissioners of police (traffic), said.

Although the department wanted to resume drink-and-drive checks earlier this year, it was put off on account of a raging second wave.

Joint commissioner of police (traffic) BR Ravikante Gowda said: “In recent times, the city has been witnessing fatal road accidents and most of them occur at night or early morning. Some of them could be the result of drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs. We're awaiting forensic reports on such accidents.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.