England cricketer Ben Stokes’s trial enters its second week today, with the prosecution and defence making their closing arguments.
The 27-year-old all-rounder is accused of punching Ryan Hale, 27, and Ryan Ali, 28, during an alleged brawl outside a nightclub in Bristol on 25 September last year.
Last week the court heard Mr Stokes mocked two gay men by “mimicking this voices and mannerisms in a derogatory manner”, before a fight broke out.
Prosecutor Nicholas Corsellis said the cricketer “lost control” and began a “sustained episode of violence which left onlookers shocked”.
Who is who
- Ben Stokes – Cricketer accused of punching Ryan Hale and Ryan Ali
- Ryan Ali – Jointly accused of affray alongside Stokes
- Ryan Hale – Acquitted of affray
- Kai Barry and William O’Connor – Gay couple who Stokes insists he stepped in to protect
- James Anderson, Jake Ball and Alex Hales, Liam Plunkettand Jonny Bairstow- Teammates of Stokes
- Andrew Cunningham – Door supervisor at the Mbargonightclub
- Mark Spure- Off-duty police community support officer who told court Stokes had been ‘main aggressor’
But Mr Stokes denied ridiculing the gay couple, saying he was defending them against homophobic abuse and claiming they thanked him for protecting them.
The sportsman also said he was fearful of being attacked with a weapon, claiming Mr Ali held the neck of an upturned bottle in his hand and began “waving it around”.
Mr Ali, who suffered a broken eye-socket in the alleged fracas, said he was defending himself and claimed Mr Stokes was “very angry and looking for someone to pick on” on the night of the incident.
Mr Stokes, who also plays for Durham, is jointly accused of affray alongside Mr Ali. They both deny the charge.
Mr Hale was acquitted of the same charge by the jury of six men and six women on the direction of the judge on Thursday.
On Monday morning, Judge Peter Blair QC told the jury that they would hear closing speeches from Nicholas Corsellis, prosecuting; Gordon Cole QC, defending Mr Stokes; and Anna Midgley, defending Mr Ali.
He would then sum up the case. The judge said that he would invite the jury to retire to consider its verdicts at “some point” after lunch.
Live Updates
A defence lawyer for Mr Ali has said watching footage of him wielding a bottle during the alleged brawl made him feel “regret”, but the video did not prove he had committed a crime.
Ms Midgley said there may have been a “misunderstanding” that caused violence to erupt between Mr Stokes, Mr Ali, Mr Hale and Mr Hales.
Stokes not selected for third Test against India
Ben Stokes has been left out of England's squad for the third Test against India as his trial in Bristol continues.
England have named an unchanged 13-man squad for the Test, which gets underway at Trent Bridge on Saturday.
The ECB are set to "make an assessment of Ben Stokes’s availability after the trial in Bristol has concluded.”
Full story here:
The QC continued: "Think about kicks and stamps. There's no evidence before you – and I'm not suggesting for one minute that you should guess – but you can infer from what you know of injuries that were sustained.
"Sustained perhaps by Alex Hales's intervention? Blows, kicks and or stamps to the head area.
"Does it follow that all of these injuries are properly attributed to Ben Stokes? We say no. We say that the evidence is ambiguous. We say how do you resolve that?"
”But the important trial is going on inside of this court.
Please allow a moment for the live blog to load
