Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Sport
Manasi Pathak

Ben Stokes: Australia expecting England all-rounder to play in Ashes

PA

Australia spin bowler Nathan Lyon expects Ben Stokes to play some part in the upcoming Ashes series Down Under, as speculation continues over the England all-rounder’s participation.

Stokes has taken an indefinite break from cricket to focus on his mental health while also recovering from a second operation on a broken finger, and was not included in coach Chris Silverwood’s squad for the Ashes.

But the 30-year-old last week posted an Instagram video of his return to the nets, raising speculation that he could still feature in the five-test series which is due to begin in Brisbane on 8 December.

“I’m expecting him to come,” Lyon said of Stokes on Thursday. “I hope he is. You want to play against the best players in the world.

“Stokesy is the best all-rounder in the world. He’s an X-factor, a game changer, and you want to play against these sort of players.”

England fast bowler Mark Wood said last week that England players have not talked about Stokes making a potential comeback for the Ashes tour.

Australia retained the Ashes when the teams last met in 2019 in England after a 2-2 series draw.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.