Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Belfast Live
Belfast Live
National
Orlaith Clinton

Belfast Multi-Cultural Association fire started deliberately, PSNI say

A fire that caused extensive damage to a building in South Belfast on Thursday night is believed to have been started deliberately.

Police say they are now treating the blaze at the Belfast Multi-Cultural Association as a hate crime and are appealing for information.

It was reported at around 9pm last night that the building, on Donegall Pass, was in flames.

Seven fire appliances, three specialist appliances and over 50 personnel dealt with the incident.

In a post on Facebook, BMCA said they were heartbroken.

The post read: "Unfortunately tonight [Thursday] BMCA is ablaze. We don’t have any details about how this happened. Fortunately none of our volunteers were injured.

"We are immensely grateful to the fire services who were there promptly.

"We are heartbroken and shocked by these events but it will not deter us from any of our work. Thank you to everyone who have been in contact to check up on us."

Chief Inspector Gavin Kirkpatrick said: “It is believed this fire, which resulted in significant damage to the property, was started deliberately. We have begun an investigation and are working alongside our NIFRS colleagues.

“We are also treating this incident as hate crime and appeal to anyone with information to contact us on 101, quoting reference 1626 of 14/01/21.

It took more than 50 firefighters to get a blaze at the Belfast Multi-Cultural Association (Justin Kernoghan/Belfast Live)

"A report can also be made using the online reporting form via  www.psni.police.uk/makeareport

"Alternatively, information can be provided to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at  www.crimestoppers-uk.org."

Meanwhile, the PSNI are appealing after a fire at a property in West Belfast on Thursday.

Police and NIFRS responded to the blaze in Norglen Parade which was reported at 11:20pm.

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding a fire at a property in the Norglen Parade area (Justin Kernoghan/Belfast Live)

Detective Sergeant Corrigan said: "Thankfully, no one was in the property at the time of the incident and no injuries have been reported.

"It is believed that the fire had been started deliberately and remains under investigation. We would appeal to anyone with information about what happened to call us on 101, quoting reference number 1834 of 14/01/21."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.